Kashi Vishwanath Temple is one of the most famous temple in Varanasi, also known as the Golden temple dedicated to the Lord Shiva. It was constructed in the year 1780 by the Maratha monarch, Maharani Ahilyabai Holkar of the Indore. This makes Varanasi a tourists place because of great religious importance to the Hindus. The gold used to cover the two domes of the temple was donated by the Punjab Kesari, the Sikh Maharaja Ranjit Singh, who ruled the Punjab. Now, after 28 January 1983, this temple becomes the property of the government of Uttar Pradesh and it is managed by Dr. Vibhuti Narayan Singh, then by the Kashi Naresh.
Current structure built in: 1780
Creator: Maharani Ahilyabai Holkar
Significance of the temple
Kashi Vishwanath Temple has most religious importance for the worship in the Hindu religion. Many great Hindu saints (like Adi Sankaracharya, Goswami Tulsidas, Ramakrishna Paramhansa, Swami Dayananda Saraswati, Swami Vivekananda, Gurunanak etc) had came to the Varanasi to take bath in the holy water of the Gange and for the Darshan of the Jyotirlinga. It is believed that the one who will take bath (at least once in the lifetime) in the Gange in the holy city Varanasi will get Moksha. True devotees of the Lord Shiva get freedom from the cycle of the death and birth. After death they directly intermingled into the Mahadev. People beliefs that the one who decided to end their life at the temple, Lord Shiva himself drive a mantra of freedom in his ear.
Details about the Shiva temple is described in the Kashi Khanda of Skanda Purana. Kashi Vishwanath temple was constructed by the Hari Chandra in the 11th century. The temple was
destroyed and reconstructed many times. The current construction is done by the Hindu Maratha queen of Malwa kingdom, Ahilya Bai Holkar.
History of the Kashi Vishwanath Temple
Kashi Vishwanath temple is located at western bank of River Ganges in the holy city Varanasi. Jyotirlinga in the Kashi Vishwanath temple has an extraordinary and exclusive importance in the religious history of India. It attracts devotees from all across the world. The management of the temple was taken under UP Government on 28th January, 1983. The current temple is constructed by Late Maharani Ahilya Bai Holkar of Indore in 1780. A Naubatkhana (in front of the temple) is constructed by the Collector Mohd. Ibrahim Khan in 1785. The two domes of the temple were covered by the gold (offered by the Punjab Kesari Maharaja Ranjeet Singh) in 1839. And the third dome was gold plated by the Ministry of cultures and Religious affairs of Uttar Pradesh Government.